The Importance of Proper Cane Height

If you or a loved one are using a walking cane to help with mobility issues or recovering from surgery, then you know how important it is to have the correct cane height. A cane that is too short or too tall can cause issues with balance, alignment, and the ability to walk safely.

The two most essential elements to walking comfortably with a cane come down to two things: Is the cane the correct height? Is the cane in the correct hand? The correct cane height and carrying hand can make a dramatic difference in your comfort, safety, and ability to get around. Stepwise Cane™, with its adjustable feature, will keep you safe and mobile. With a little guidance, we can make sure your cane fits you perfectly.

Measure once. Measure again.

  • Put on your walking shoes.
  • Hang your arm straight down at your side.
  • Measure the distance from the ground to your wrist.
  • Adjust the cane so the handle is at your wrist.

Which Hand?

  • Canes are typically used on the opposite side of an injury.
  • But one may feel more comfortable and safer using their dominant hand.
  • Measure the distance from the ground to your wrist.
  • Balance issues- carry on the opposite side of the weaker leg.

Should and Should Nots

  • Your elbow should bend, but not more than 15 degrees.
  • Your cane should aid you in walking normally.
  • It should not make you lean to one side.
  • You should hold a cane on the opposite side of your weaker leg.
  • You should feel the cane is only the distance of the step you have taken.

Stepwise Cane™ is Just Right

  • Stepwise Cane has an adjustable feature.
  • It’s perfect for both short-term and long-term use.
  • The tread on the Stepwise Cane™ is waterproof.
  • The base of the cane is always in contact with the ground due to its rounded bottom.
*The information contained within this blog is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended to replace professional medical advice or treatment. If you have any concerns about your health or a medical condition, please consult with a qualified physician or other healthcare professional.